Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Training



A picture tells a thousand stories! Both people in the photo above are extremely experienced in martial arts technique. One of them much older and ever so slightly more experienced.

The point to this blog entry is this: Everybody who trains in martial arts needs to continually develop themselves. You can only do this by being continually involved with a strategy of self development. Pretty obvious you might say. Not to so many who cocoon themselves within a stagnant repetitious training regime, or style confinement? The old saying “you should get out more” is so true. One of my Japanese Sensei’s told me that at least once a week I should train with someone with more experience and practical ability than myself. I have always looked upon this advice as good advice and true in practice, although difficult at times.

The same techniques practiced over and over again, not repetitiously as such but with ever increasing perspective and situation consideration. It’s possible to climb different mountains with the same piece of rope but never in the same way! We need to examine how efficient and effective technique is achieved, diversely.

One of my Sensei’s tells me he’s a guide not an instructor as such. He will show me a series of metaphoric dots, how and when I recognise these dots is one thing, how I perceive them and how I join them up and apply them is another. If he prescribes everything in a rote fashion I may get something from the experience, his way....perhaps but not necessarily mine.

I didn't physically exert myself at the training session the above photo was taken, although I did put my mind in gear. From observation I deduced that individually my techniques in certain circumstances were adequate for level one. More importantly I observed ways how to improve them to a level two. Level two being almost impossible to apply without effective engagement. This can only be done in a reciprocal way with somebody who understands pain and wants to understand how more efficiently to inflict it.

My training is not for the faint hearted or people afraid of pain. No good for an immature mind where their only experience of violence is a dancing class, Playstation game or Tom & Jerry cartoon battle antics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.