Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Thought of the Day

I think the thing that differentiates the "Grandmaster" from the "student" is not the number of techniques that he knows, but rather how well he does a certain group of techniques. Apparently, as you get better, you may incidentally have more knowledge of a variety of techniques, but you get much better at particular favourites. Its good to know a great deal of technical knowledge, but the foundations of karate lie in the development of the self, physical, mental and spiritual aspects of the art in relation to ones self. Attachment to a "style" and desire to excel for glory are impediments to enlightenment. In a real fight - even though you may have the skill to target vulnerable points - it won't always work perfectly, and when you make a mistake - all that will carry you through is your attitude and fighting spirit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alan,
Could't agree more!! An ability to work in chaos. Which is where your attitude and fighting spirit come in.
In fact I was told an an example of that the other day. Which I will tell you about when I see you!!
Keith

Mir said...

I've seen that happening.. Truly it is attitude, and spirit that pulls me through all of the difficult times of my life.. not only in a physical confrontation.