Monday, August 28, 2006

Profile

This page is a brief profile of my year’s karate training. I hope it varies enough and reflects the effect on my opinions as you read. Reflects what is appropriate, effective, realistic, the practical principles for any self-defence system. I study and teach the mechanics of combat martial art technique, tactic, dynamics, reflex & pressure points. Incorporating strikes, kicks, locks, strangles, chokes and throws. I have had two years experience working as a bouncer in clubs and pubs, not my best qualification. However I did learn a lot from my experiences. I have been seriously injured a few times and hopefully learnt many lessons from my errors. I admit I have more questions of karate than answers.

For the benefit of the grade orientated, I hold the Rank of 6th Dan Karate Jutsu. A description, as much as a specific style I give to my personalised training study. My roots stem from "Japan Karate Association" / "Karate Union of Great Britain" Shotokan / UKKW Wado Ryu, modern competitive karate and Goju Ryu training. I started Karate training in 1971. Having some Judo training in my youth club days plus a little boxing in the army cadets. I trained and graded mostly in Shotokan Karate, within the K.U.G.B. I tried a little Wushu-Quan at night school classes, looking at perspectives. In the mid 70's I also trained in UKKW Wado Ryu, gaining Shodan much later. In 1987 I was awarded the ultimate grade for my K.U.G.B. record book and karate licence, “3rd Dan JKA”. At the time a who’s who of a Japanese grading panel. In 1992, I was awarded a 20-year service diploma with a lifetime membership to the Karate Union of Great Britain. Presented by K Enoeda Sensei and Andy Sherry of the K.U.G.B. Around that time I also gained full Judge and Referee status within the K.U.G.B. I have entered and officiated at many competitions in over the years.

As compertion Karate grew up in the 90’s I became very disillusioned as to it’s effectiveness in reality. I resigned from the K.U.G.B. because I had lost faith in its direction into sports mode. I then became an Instructor, grading examiner and international referee with the "British Shotokan Karate Union". At the time, I thought a good move, alas, as with the K.U.G.B. sports & politics reared their ugly heads distorting what karate means to me, I had to go. I still retain many friends in the Shotokan scene. I still practice some aspects of Shotokan in an effort to make it effective, in particular for myself. It may not look like Shotokan to others but the concept is there.

However I was inspired for many years and still am by a Shotokan master called Dave Hazard. He is probably responsible for teaching me how much karate has to offer the individual willing to explore its technique. After training with him, it soon became clear a future in Shotokan’s well-established sporting format and static stylistic environment was a lost cause for me. I graduated from Shotokan the organisational style.

I must openly state that because of my extensive research. I have absolutely no faith in the mystical terminology of words like Ch'i, Ki, Qi. Also any other TCM based combat systems that rely on unsupported theory, or rapport phenomenon. Western Medical Science, the dynamics and tactics of authentic martial arts, provide me with support and all the answers I need in order to teach what I know.

I have instructed and run my own club since the 1980’s. I teach karate based on my own ability, experience and knowledge. My Dojo doors are open to anybody. We have no style barrier or prejudice other than bullshit. My motive is to keep one step ahead of my students. We all have a common objective, regardless of individual appearance and ability. I am totally convinced that if you restrict or limit yourself to any one system or style without consideration of all the eventualities, that combat produces, you will miss the essence of it all.

I concentrate my efforts on developing a familiar system by which anybody can associate to by virtue of natural martial arts movements. I have researched history and realise now that organisational karate has only evolved over no more than 80 years. Pre 1920’s Toudi-jutsu, Karate, Jujutsu, Kyusho Jutsu and Torite all play important roles in my training. Medical science provides documentation of effects of trauma and shock to the body. I concentrate my efforts on established, authentic self-defence, and application, not sport.

My thanks go to:
Sandy Beach, Kevin Hicky, Phil Reed, Roy Tucker, Bill Bishop, Suzuki, Yamanashi, Colin Winslade, Derrick Nixon, Tomita, Enoeda, Ohta, Kanasawa, Kawasoe, Asano, Kato, Shiri, Kase, Nakayama, Nito, Dave Hazard, Mick Dewy, Bruce Miller. Who at one time or another have shown me particular attention. Patrick McCarthy and Steve Morris, and so many others who have influenced my thoughts and training. My apologies for any I may have missed. If anybody wants to own up to it, drop me a line.

Enoeda Sensei 8th Dan J.K.A., along with a grading panel consisting of , Kase 8th Dan, Shirai 8th Dan, Kawasoe 6th Dan and Ohta 5th Dan, sensei's of the then J.K.A. under Nakayama 9th Dan. Awarded me Sandan grade on 4 / 9 / 87

J.K.A. Shodan 1st Dan 12 / 09 / 1980
Nidan 2nd Dan 11 / 06 / 1983
Sandan 3rd Dan 04 / 09 / 1987
Yondan 4th Dan 05 / 12 / 1993
Godan 5th Dan 07 / 10 / 1997
Rokudan 6th Dan 01 / 04 / 2006

AMA - UK Registration; Instructors Insurance Membership Receipt Number 64760 / SE290K.

No comments: